Nakṣatra Yoga (Donations)
It is ordained in the Purāṇas that almsgiving on each star or day will be rewarded with attainments. This is called Nakṣatra Yoga. The Nakṣatra Yoga of each star is as follows –
- Aśvayuk: Those who give horses and chariots as alms on this day, would be born again in a noble family.
- Bharaṇī: If lands and cows are given to Brahmins on this day, one would get many cows and will become famous in heaven.
- Kṛttikā: If rice-pudding is given to Brahmins to their satisfaction on this day the giver will attain the prominent worlds after death.
- Rohiṇī: If milk-rice and venison mingled with ghee is given to Brahmins on this day, his indebtedness to the manes would end.
- Mṛgāśiras: (Sri Chandra devatā): If a milch-cow is given as alms on this day, one would attain heaven.
- Ārdrā: If fast is taken and gingelly oil is given as alms on this day, the giver will become capable of crossing mountains and trenches – every hurdle will be overcome.
- Punarvasu: He who gives bread on this day will be born again in a good family.
- Puṣya (Bṛhaspati devatā): He who gives gold as alms on this day will enter the worlds of bright planets (other lokas).
- Aśleṣā: He who gives an ox made of silver as alms on this day, will become fearless.
- Maghā: He who gives gingelly as alms on this day will become prosperous with cows.
- Pūrva Phālguṇī: If ghee-rice is given to Brahmins taking fast on this day, the giver would become happy and prosperous.
- Uttara Phālguṇī: He who gives rice of Nīvara variety mixed with milk and ghee on this day will be honoured in heaven.
- Hastā: If one gives four horses and an elephant as alms, on this day, one will attain the world of bliss (goloka).
- Citrā: He who gives oxen and perfumery as alms on this day, will enter the parks in which celestial maids play (svarga loka or goloka)
- Svātī: He who gives any sort of wealth as alms on this day will become renowned in the worlds.
- Viśākhā: He who gives as alms on this day, oxen, milch-cow, grain-box, cart, paddy and diamond will attain higher lokas.
- Anurādhā: He who gives cloth, rice and blanket on this day will be honoured in svarga for a hundred yugas.
- Jyeṣṭhā: If Brahmins are given yams and greens on this day one could realize one’s wishes.
- Mūlā: The manes will be contented, if Brahmins are given roots and nuts on this day.
- Pūrva āsāḍha: If Brahmins who are expounders of Vedas are given as alms pots of curd, after observing fast, the givers will take birth again in families with many cows.
- Uttara āsāḍha: He who gives milk and ghee to wise men will be honoured in svarga.
- Śravaṇa: Those who give cloth and rug on this day will enter a white conveyance and reach svarga.
- Śrāviṣṭhā: Those who give cattle, cart and cloth on this day will enter svarga.
- Śatabhiṣaj: Those who give sandalwood and aloe wood on this day, will go to deva-loka (svarga)
- Pūrva Proṣṭhapada: He who gives coins on this day will reach the world of bliss.
- Uttara Proṣṭhapada: Those who give mutton on this day will be pleasing the manes.
- Revatī: He who gives cows which could give potful of milk, could reach any loka
While these teachings are very important for making donations as a remedial measure, it is important to use the information here for remedial measures based on Nakṣatra placement of planets in the chart.
For health always remedy your natal Moon nakṣatra. For example, I was born in Satabhisāj and the remedy recommended is to donate sandalwood or other wood. So doing woodwork or making donations of wooden artifacts are very auspicious for rectifying ‘karma baggage’ with the Moon. The best way to remove baggage is to give things away. This is the underlying theme of the nakṣatra yoga.
It need not be the animals all the time, you can consider giving silver or even gold statues of these animals like silver horses or a painting of horses for Aśvinī nakṣatra. In this manner use the knowledge in an intelligent manner.