Longevity related notes and the use of Utpanna, Adhana and Kshema Vimsottari dasa [Continued from Vimsottari Dasa #1]
Longevity related Notes On Vimsottari Dasa
Calculation of longevity should be done as per traditional tools. Separate Vimsottari dasa’s can be calculated from the fifth, fourth and eighth constellation from Janma Nakshatra . These are called Utpanna dasa (5th Star), Kshema dasa (4th Star) and Adhana dasa (8th Star). Compare the ending dates of dasa’s under this to that of Janma Vimsottari (as determined in previous chapter). If the ending dates are close, then it can spell the end of life.
Determine the Utpanna, Kshema and Adhana dasa of Male born on 7 August 1963 at 9:15’ PM IST at 21N28’ 84E01’(Chart 2).
In Chart 2, the Janma Nakshatra is Satabhisaj (24) and the Kshema star (4th) is Revati (27) ruled by Mercury; the Utpanna star (5th) is Aswini (1) ruled by Ketu and the Adhana star (8th) is Rohini (4) ruled by Moon. The Nakshatra balance is 0.001157 and the balance of Dasa can be easily calculated from this.
Kshema dasa balance
Full period of Mercury dasa = 17 years.
Balance of Mercury dasa = 17 X 0.001157 = 0.019669 Years = 0 Year 0 Month 7 Days
Thus, Ending date (Mercury) = 1963-08-07 (Birth Date YYYY-MM-DD) (+) 0-00-07 (Add)
= 1963-08-14(YYYY-MM-DD) or1963 Aug 14
Utpanna Dasa Balance
Full period of Ketu dasa = 7 years.
Balance of Mercury dasa = 7 X 0.001157 = 0.008099 Years
= 0 Year 0 Month 3 Days
Thus, Ending date (Ketu) = 1963-08-07 (Birth Date YYYY-MM-DD) (+) 0-00-03 (Add)
= 1963-08-10(YYYY-MM-DD) or1963 Aug 10
Adhana Dasa Balance
Full period of Moon dasa = 10 years.
Balance of Moon dasa = 10 X 0.001157 = 0.01157 Years
= 0 Year 0 Month 4 Days
Thus, Ending date (Moon) = 1963-08-07 (Birth Date YYYY-MM-DD)
(+) 0-00-04 (Add)
= 1963-08-11(YYYY-MM-DD) or1963 Aug 11
|Table2-1 :Kshema Dasa Table||Starting Date||Ending Date|
|Table2-2 :Utpanna Dasa Table||Starting Date||Ending Date|
|Table2-3 :Adhana Dasa||Starting Date||Ending Date|
Notes: The Utpanna, Kshema and Adhana Dasa are always calculated on the basis of the longitude of the Moon, even if the Lagna is stronger than the Moon as in this case.
Comparing dasa The four Dasa (i.e. Janma, Kshema, Utpanna & Adhana) are compared carefully to determine similarity in the ending dates of dasa. If the ending dates are the same in at least two of the dasa, then ill-health, accidents, premature death and other evils can be anticipated.
1. Comparing Table 2-1 & Table 2-2, we find that the fifth dasa in both end in 2006 AD showing danger. Now compare the dasa length in both. The fifth dasa in Table 2-1 is of the Moon for 10 years while that in table 2-2 is of Mars for 7 years. Take the shorter period and we can narrow down the danger period from 1999 to 2006.
2. Comparing Table 2-1 & Table 2-3, we find that the first dasa in both end in 1970 AD showing danger. Now compare the dasa length in both. The first dasa in Table 2-1 is of the Ketu for 7 years while that in Table 2-3 is of Mars for 7 years. Take the shorter period and we can narrow down the danger period from 1963 to 1970. During this period the native had many close encounters when as a baby he fell into a dam and was rescued by the timely intervention of his grandmother who dived in after him. Later in February 1969 he was badly mauled by a dog and had to undergo treatment for a few months. These incidents are represented by the planets having the Kshema Dasa [Ketu in a constellation of Venus clearly indicates danger from dogs, and specifically feminine-bitch) and Adhana dasa (Mars in a constellation of Moon shows the danger of accidents (Mars) in water (Moon) and the person who saves is seen from the house where 7th house occupied by Mars is the fourth (Mother/Aunt) from the fourth house (Mother) indicating grandmother].
3. Comparing Table 2-2 & Table 2-3, we find that the seventh dasa in both end in 2040 AD indicating danger or premature death. Now compare the dasa length in both. The seventh dasa in Table 2-2 is of the Jupiter for 16 years while that in Table 2-3 is of Mercury for 17 years. Take the shorter period and we can narrow down the danger period from 2024 to 2040. In this manner the dangerous periods should be determined and after calculating the longevity, the death inflicting dasa can be determined.
Death inflicting Dasa
1) The Dasa Sesham can cause death as all dasa tend to be evil towards their end. If the Sesham coincides for Utpanna, Adhana, Kshema or Janma Vimsottari dasa, then it can cause death.
2) The Janma dasa (First Vimsottari dasa) can cause death for Balarishtha Jataka. The Vipat dasa (Third Vimsottari dasa) can cause death for Yogarishtha and Alpa Ayus Jataka. The Pratya dasa (Fifth Vimsottari dasa) can cause death for Madhya Ayus Jataka. The Vadha dasa (Seventh Vimsottari dasa) can cause death for Poorna Ayus Jataka.
3) The dasa of the lord of the sixth house can bring wailing at home, especially in the antardasa of the lord of the eighth house when the death of the native himself can occur . Similarly, dasa of Lord of eighth and antardasa of lord of the sixth can give death.
4) The stronger of the Lords of the 2nd or 8th house is called Rudra and it’s dasa or association can cause death of the native. Similarly, the Rudra for parents are determined from the Sun or Venus (for Father) and Moon or Mars (for Mother) .
5) The dasa of a planet in Rasi-Sandhi (especially Gandanta) can bring sorrow and disease or even death. If it is in the last degree of the sign, then its dasa can produce death .
6) Niryana Dasa :For day birth, add the longitudes of the Sun and Saturn whereas for night birth add the longitudes of Rahu and Moon. The point arrived at by the sum of the longitudes will be in some constellation. The dasa of the lord of this constellation and antardasa indicated by the degree of the longitude sum can also determine death.
7) Gulika Dasa: The dasa/antardasa of the planets indicated by the longitude of Gulika in a constellation or that of planets associated with it can be death inflicting and harmful. The body can develop or be afflicted by poisonous substances.
Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore was born on the 7th May 1861 at 2:51’ AM LMT at 22N40’ Lat & 88E30’ Long on Krishna Paksha Trayodasi (ruled by Jupiter) in the Vedic month of Chaitra.
Rabindranath Tagore was a great worshipper of Vishnu and perhaps, the greatest poets of his time. The Lagna has the Moon in it, and any computation will clearly bring out the importance of the Moon in initiating the Vimsottari Dasa. The Vimsottari dasa starting dates (from Moon)are as under:
Merc 1856-06-02 ; Ketu 1873-06-02 ; Venus 1880-06-02 ; Sun 1900-06-03 ; Moon 1906-06-03 ; Mars 1916-06-03 ; Rahu 1923-06-03 ; Jup 1941-06-03
It would be very difficult to explain the death of Rabindranath Tagore in Jupiter Dasa Jupiter antardasa, especially when Jupiter is the lord of Lagna and is also exalted in the ninth from Arudha Lagna. However Gulika is in Visakha Nakshatra ruled by Jupiter and hence Jupiter shall give the results of Gulika in its initial period. This resulted in death.
4. The dasa of the planets associated with the second and seventh house can also be death inflicting.
5. Divisional Charts: The death of the native can be studied form the Rasi and Trimsamsa whereas that of other relatives are to be seen from the other divisional charts. Parasara explains these as Drekkana (D-3) for co-born, Saptamsa (D-7) for children, Navamsa (D-9) for spouse, Dasamsa (D-10) for those related in the profession, Dwadasamsa (D-12) for Parents and elders, Vimsamsa (D-20) for Guru’s and Sisya (Upasana), Chaturvimsamsa (D-24) for teachers and students (Siddhi) and so on.
Q1: Draw the Utpanna, Kshema and Adhana Dasa in your own chart and indicate the evil periods.
Q2: What is the reason for calculating these three types of Vimsottari Dasa based on the longitude of the Moon instead of Lagna?
Q3: Determine the period of death of at least two persons related to you (in any manner) using divisional charts.
Q4: Why are planets associated with the 2nd/7th houses death inflictors? Show at least one case where this has proved to be correct. What remedy does Parasara prescribe for this position or ownership of planets?
Q5: What is the importance of the Moon in averting Balarishta? What are the ages of Balarishta, Yogarishta, Alpa Ayus, Madhya Ayus and Poorna Ayus?
Q6:Case Study: Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, Born on 14 November 1889; 11:00’PM LMT Allahabad (25N27’ 81E51’). Explain the the following events:
1. death of his wife (28 Feb 1936); [Sun-Merc] 2. death of Father (6 Feb 1931), [Venus-Merc] 3. Marriage (8 Feb, 1916); [Venus-Sun] 4. Birth of Daughter (19 Nov, 1917) when he was in jail; [Venus-Moon] 5. His death 27 May 1964 [Rahu-Merc] 6. His illness that started in Feb 1963 [Rahu-Sat] Q7: Case Study: female born 23 January 1950, 6:15’ AM Ghaziabad, India. Husband died in Venus-Rahu-Venus Vimsottari Dasa-Antar-Pratyantar. Explain why?
HARI OM TAT SAT
 Sesham means ending or finishing
 Balarishtha refers to infantile death (0 to 12 years). If this is destined, then the Janma dasa itself can cause death.
 Yogarishtha refers to teenage death around 12 to 20 years age. If this is destined, then the Vipat or third dasa can cause death.
 Alpa Ayus indicates premature death within 36 years. If a few other life determining factors are strong, then this can be within 40 years.
 Madhya Ayus refers to middle life where the longevity is from 36 to 72 years. Another classification is 40 to 80 years.
 Poorna Ayus or full life refers to the longevity in the range of 72 to 108 years. Another classification is 80 to 120 years. For more details refer to my translation of Jaimini’s Upadesa Sutra.
(JP 18-38) The reference is to Sthira Karaka or fixed significators that are used in Ayur dasa or longevity estimation.
 This is different from the Niryana Shoola Dasa and should not be mistaken. Niryana dasa has been defined as the death inflicting period of the Vimsottari dasa (or other Udu dasa) by the following Sloka in Jataka Parijata (JP 18-36):
2 thoughts on “Vimshottari Dasha #2”
Would you explain on the Nakshatra balance is 0.001157 for chart2.
What I can see the balance of Nakshatra Satabhisak(24) is 0.07% left that comes to 0.0007
If can explain about 0.001157 and how to arrive that figure. Appreciate of explaining on this.
Thanks for help
you mentioned nakshatra balance as The Nakshatra balance is 0.001157 in chart 2 Rasi.
The janma nakshatra is Satabhisaj (24) whose balance is 0.0007 in Rasi chart and I am not clear how the Nakshatra balance is 0.001157? I am confused,please would you clarify this point.
I would be great if you can explain this concept for new learner’s like me.